Düsseldorf, 18 March 2019.- With a large presence that includes 66 exhibitors in the Chilean pavilion, in addition to the attendance of Viñas de Colchagua and MOVI in the fairgrounds, the delegation from Chile stands out in Prowein for the wide variety of its wines.
With a 702 square meter pavilion, which was inaugurated by the Chilean ambassador in Germany, Cecilia Mackenna, the Commercial Director of ProChile in Germany, Diego Torres and representatives of the wine industry, the country showcased the great variety of wines it produces and the diversity they represent in terms of climate, terroir and styles.
“Prowein remains a great platform for the country. It is one of the most important fairs for the promotion of wines, both for Europe and for the world. Chilean exports of bottled wine in 2018 closed with more than USD 1.4 billion, keeping our country in an important position with respect to the world’s main producers,” points out Diego Torres, ProChile Commercial Director in Germany.
In this new version of Prowein the country will launch in Europe its new online platform “ChileB2B”, that will allow to visualize the Chilean exportable offer in a digital way. This will allow buyers to have a complete overview of Chilean products. In addition, during the fair importers visiting the Chilean pavilion will be invited to register on this platform.
Prowein is part of the main international fairs that ProChile promotes for the wine industry, through the joint work with Wines of Chile.
Wines of the year
During the second day, the country held a seminar led by the Master of Wines Tim Atkins, who spoke about the excitement and energy of the new Chile, showing the review of wines revised in his last visit to Chile in December 2018, where he tasted more than 1,270 wines from at least 200 different wineries. In addition, he talked about innovations in the sector, how the limits of Chile’s regions have evolved and presented a tour by the country that consisted of 10 wines for tasting.
At the end of the seminar, the Master of Wines presented the winners of his 2018 review:
• Winemaker of the year: Marcelo Papa of Concha y Toro
• Young Winemaker of the year: Christian Sepúlveda of Bouchon Family Wines
• Winemaking Leyend: Mariluz Marín of Casa Marín
• Overall Red Wine of the year: 2014 viñedos de Alcohuaz RHU, Elqui Valley
• Overall White Wine of the year: 2017 Errázuriz Las Pizarras Chardonnay, Aconcagua Costa
• Rosé of the year: 2017 Bodegas RE Pinotel, Casablanca Valley
• Sparkling Wine of the year: 2014 Valdivieso Cuvée Aniversario Blanc de Blancs, Biobío
• Sweet Wine of the year: 2015 Torreón de Paredes Sweet Raquel Late Harvest, Cachapoal Valley
• White Wine Discovery of the year: 2017 Carmen DO Florillón, Apalta
• Red Wine Discovery of the year: 2015 Flaherty Wines Petit Sirah, Cauquenes
• Valued Red Wine of the year: 2016 Mayu Sanglovese Reserva, Elqui Valley
• Valued White Wine of the year: 2018 Piedras del Encanto Kürüf Moscatel de Alejandría, Itata
• Valued Rosé of the year: 2018 Pérez Cruz Lingal Rosé, Maipo Andes
• Valued Sparkling Wine of the year: NV Cono Sur Sparkling Rosé, Biobío